Jeffrey Shaw, author of The Self-Employed Life: Business and Personal Development Strategies That Create Sustainable Success
Bill Ringle and Jeffrey Shaw discuss the importance of having a skilled external observer in your business life to help you “see the label when you are inside the bottle” for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- Self-employed people are invested in their businesses at a closer level than employees and find again and again that to grow your business, you must grow yourself.
- Being self-employed does not give you total control over your business. Some circumstances will be liable to change whether we like it or not.
- Taking an impartial view of ourselves is not easy. Sometimes we shy away from acknowledging how good we are and how better we can be because we are taught to stay humble. This is why it is good to have other people in our lives to give us an objective view of our potential.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- While he did not realize it at first, Jeffrey’s mother was his biggest inspiration growing up. [01:25]
- Paralyzing shyness was a struggle for Jeffrey as a child, but the path to overcoming this weakness led him to a very successful career in photography. [02:44]
- How other people can see more in us than we do ourselves? [05:07]
- CASE: Deb, a corporate executive turned self-employed who leaned to give her business the air to breathe to get positive results. [06:12]
- An introduction to the self-employed ecosystem and the reality of being self-employed. [09:54]
- The realizations that led Jeffrey to start his coaching business. [11:28]
- The value of having a solid clientele. [MM:SS]
- Due to being self-employed his entire career, Jeffrey truly has an edge in coaching his self-employed clients. [14:55]
- Applying the ’ From-To’ format to articulating the change you want in your business or life.[17:52]
- Motivation comes second to momentum. [21:24]
- Jeffrey shared what led him to start his podcast, The Self-Employed Life. [24:15]
- Jeffrey describes the audience avatar for The Self-Employed Life. [28:16]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [29:06]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
How many people can say they’ve never worked for anyone else? Selling eggs door-to-door at 14 years old began a lifetime of self-employment. As a speaker and small business coach, Jeffrey Shaw helps self-employed and small business owners gain control of their business in what seems like otherwise uncontrollable circumstances.
Drawing on his experience as a renowned portrait photographer, Jeffrey shows business owners how to see business through a different lens and strategies to compose the often-chaotic pieces of life and business into sustainable success.
Jeffrey’s TEDx Lincoln Square talk is featured on TED.com, he’s the host of the top-rated podcast, The Self-Employed Life, author of The Self-Employed Life and LINGO, an in-demand keynote speaker at conferences, events and universities, a LinkedIn Learning instructor and contributing writer to Entrepreneur magazine.
Contact Info and Social Media for JEFFREY SHAW
- Primary website
- Travels from: MIAMI, FL
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed, so you can explore further.
- The Intention Experiment: Using Your Thoughts to Change Your Life and the World by Lynne McTaggart