Scott Jeffrey Miller, author of Master Mentors Volume 2:
30 Transformative Insights from Our Greatest Minds
Bill Ringle and Scott Jeffrey Miller discuss the importance of being clear and explicit with your intent in all communications for small business leaders because in the absence of details, people make up stories and those stories can become another mess.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- We can’t have a work-life balance every day. There are busy seasons and seasons of relaxation.
- You don’t have to meet someone in person to make them your mentor. It could be anyone who is wise or experienced that you can learn from.
- A mentor doesn’t need to be someone perfect or someone who is always successful. A mentor can also be someone who failed because we can learn from their failures so we won’t fall into the same traps they fell into.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Two quotes that guide Scott: Life happens for you, not to you. Live life through the lens of “I get to…” rather than I have to our I ought to do something. [01:38]
- Highlights from the Miller family’s Italian holiday. [04:41]
- Work-life balance advice given to him by The Biggest Loser fitness coach Jillian Michaels. [07:03]
- What does it take to be a ‘Master Mentor’? [08:41]
- Scott gives further emphasis on the concept ‘vulnerability is leadership competency.’ [14:59]
- Master Mentors contains Hidden Stories that readers can watch by scanning the QR codes at the end of the chapters. One from Chapter featuring Leena Rinne is discussed for its powerful impact. [16:20]
- Another hidden gem accessible by QR in his book is the funny story of Ed Mylett, one of the top business leaders and performance experts, and the Mercedes kit car he purchased. [20:11]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [27: 22]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Recruited by Dr. Stephen R. Covey’s team, Scott built a 26-year career in the world’s most respected and influential leadership development firm, serving nearly every role imaginable. From a front-line salesperson to project manager, sales leader, general manager, vice president, chief marketing officer to executive vice president of thought leadership. Scott’s professional roles evolved as he became a multi-bestselling author, radio and podcast host, leadership coach, columnist, and global keynote speaker. He continues to consult with FranklinCovey and is proud to continue their collaboration as he expands his influence through new books, speeches, and coaching offerings. Scott currently serves as the Special Advisor on Thought Leadership for the Franklin Covey Company and hosts their weekly podcast series, On Leadership, with Scott Miller.
Contact Info and Social Media for Jeffrey Scott Miller
- Primary website
- Travels from: Salt Lake City, Utah
Check out Scott’s podcasts!
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites, and other resources we discussed so that you can explore further.
My Quest for the Best Interview: 410: From Management Mess to Leadership Success with guest expert Scott Jeffrey Miller
Listen to more inputs from Scott Miller on On Leadership Podcast.
- Franklin Covey– One of the world’s top leadership companies
- Leena Rinne – Vice President of Consulting at Franklin Covey. Co-author of The 5 Choices and a co-author of Leading Loyalty.
- Ed Mylett– A top business leader and performance expert
- Harper Collins– World leading book publishing house
- Jillian Michaels– Biggest Loser fitness coach