Marcus Warner, author of Rare Leadership in the Workplace
Bill Ringle and Marcus Warner discuss what mature leaders do to endure and thrive when times are difficult for leaders of small and mid-sized businesses.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- Mature leaders can handle their emotions, remain themselves, and still be relational even when they are having a hard time.
- Appreciation cannot be followed by a BUT because then it will lose its meaning.
- Our brain is fueled by joy and fear. Always return to joy, work your way to feel it, and share this feeling with your team.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Marcus recalls his 5th-grade football choice, who was a veteran of the Korean war, and how he is the embodiment of discipline, determination, and care. [00:55]
- Coach Choopy’s example of care helps Marcus deal with difficult conversations. Case in point, Marcus had to make one of his resistant staff understand the importance of making his reports. [02:28]
- Marcus elaborates on the importance of returning to joy, how we can feel it, and how we can make others feel it. [06:01]
- Tips on how people can feel and share joy with each other in a virtual workplace. [09:53]
- Why emotional check-ins are important, when to do them, and how to do them without losing time for business. [11:54]
- Marcus on how appreciation done right can transform a workplace. [14:50]
- What it means to ‘envelope appreciation.’ Marcus gives a tip on how to properly and effectively appreciate a colleague. [17:35]
- The three key things to being a rare leader and what it means to be a cash cow. [19:33]
- Marcus encourages us never to dismiss the importance of working on our skills and habits. [22:09]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [28:55]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Author and president of the non-profit Deeper Walk International, Dr. Marcus Warner has written or co-authored the books Rare Leadership in the Workplace, The 4 Habits of Joy-Filled Marriages, and the 4 Habits of Raising Joy-Filled Kids. Dr. Warner’s specialty is combining the latest neuroscience research with practical solutions for improving relationships. Rare Leadership in the Workplace identifies four core characteristics of the mature leaders we love to follow and the habits that create a joy-based workplace environment.
Contact Info and Social Media for Marcus Warner
- Primary website
- Travels from: Carmel, IN
- Connect on: LinkedIn |
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed, so you can explore further.