Dorie Clark, author of The Long Game
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- Powerful decision-making is key to growing a company. Leaders should not shy away from tough decisions.
- We should not let our ‘crazy busy’ schedule stop us from pursuing more long-range, meaningful goals.
- We can also put a schedule on our calendars dedicated to pursuing our dreams.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Dorie talks about optimizing projects and career trajectories. [01:43]
- Marian Stoddard, an 80-year-old housewife, who was the heroine of Dorie’s documentary, shared a piece of advice that really stuck to her, ‘whenever you have a choice of what to do choose, what’s more interesting.’ [02:51]
- Always an advocate of networks and relationships, Dorie talks about landing a friendship with Susan Stoddard, a volunteer supporter of a candidate she was also supporting, which lead her to meet Marian. [04:22]
- A discussion about Francis Fry and how many companies are afraid to make hard decisions. [09:09]
- A story about Derek Sivers, a musician turned successful entrepreneur. [12:32]
- She talks about the downside of having an overly busy schedule and encourages us to add space to pursue long-term goals. [15:13]
- The pandemic comes with uncomfortable things that businesses need to deal with preventing business leaders from pursuing more meaningful goals. [17:10]
- Dorie talks about her friend Petra Patrick and her initial fear of pursuing a dream due to lack of experience but how through dedication and motivation, she made her dream of deejaying achievable. [21:37]
- Dorie talks about working with Forbes. [28:30]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins.[34:33]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Dorie Clark helps individuals and companies get their best ideas heard in a crowded, noisy world. She has been named one of the Top 50 business thinkers in the world by Thinkers50 and was honored as the #1 Communication Coach in the world at the Marshall Goldsmith Coaching Awards. She is a keynote speaker and teaches for Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and Columbia Business School. She is the author of Entrepreneurial You, which was named one of Forbes’ Top 5 Business Books of the Year, as well as Reinventing You and Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of the Year by Inc. magazine.
A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, Clark has been described by the New York Times as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives.” She is a frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, and consults and speaks for clients such as Google, Yale University, and the World Bank. She is a graduate of Harvard Divinity School, a producer of multiple Grammy-winning jazz albums, and a Broadway investor. You can download her free Entrepreneurial You self-assessment workbook at dorieclark.com/entrepreneur.
Contact Info and Social Media for Dorie Clark
- Primary Website
- Travels from: New York, NY
- Connect on Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
- Frances Frei and Anne Morris – authors of Uncommon Service: How to Win by Putting Customers at the Core of Your Business
- Derek Sivers – an American writer, musician, programmer, and entrepreneur, best known for being the founder and former president of CD Baby, an online CD store for independent musicians.
- Columbia University