Julie Winkle Giulioni, author of Promotions Are So Yesterday: Redefine Career Development. Help Employees Thrive
Bill Ringle and Julie Winkle Giulioni discuss constructing new professional development paths using a new prism for small and mid-sized business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- There is no growth without discomfort.
- Growth is not only through promotion. Leaders often forget that people can grow in place and it retains talent.
- It is freeing when you know your capacity and limitations and then work them to your advantage.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- “We teach the life we live” is a quote that guides Julie both in her personal and professional life. [01:25]
- The pandemic gave us a different level of relationship with the people we work with, showing that distance does not prevent us from developing relationships. [02:18]
- Remote work allowed people at the back who were shy to step forward and be more vocal in meetings. [04:54]
- Julie clarifies what a career can mean.[09:49]
- The seven Cs: contribution, confidence, connection, confidence, challenge, contentment, and choice. [10:52]
- Julie explains how not wanting to be promoted does not mean not wanting to grow. [14:34]
- Why admitting our limits is liberating. [16:37]
- CASE: Antoinne, an employee who wanted more exposure, and how her manager did what most managers are reluctant to do.[26:45]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [30:04]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Julie Winkle Giulioni is a champion for workplace growth and development. She believes that everyone deserves the opportunity to reach their potential. And she supports organizations and leaders who want to make that happen with keynote speeches, consulting and training.
Julie is the co-author of the international bestseller, Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Organizations Need and Employees Want, translated into seven languages. Her latest book, Promotions Are So Yesterday: Redefine Career Development Help Employees Thrive, will be released by ATD Press in March 2022.
She is a regular columnist for Training Industry Magazine and SmartBrief and contributes articles on leadership, career development, and workplace trends to numerous publications, including The Economist.
Named by Inc. Magazine as a Top 100 Leadership Speaker, Julie’s in-person and virtual keynotes and presentations offer fresh, inspiring, yet actionable strategies for leaders who are interested in their own growth as well as supporting the growth of others.
Her firm, DesignArounds, creates and offers training to organizations worldwide and has earned praise and awards from Human Resource Executive Magazine’s Top Ten Training Products, New York Film Festival, Brandon Hall, and Global HR Excellence Council.
Julie lives in her 100+ year-old house in South Pasadena, California, with her husband, daughter, and rescue pooch, Pixel.
Contact Info and Social Media for Julie Winkle Giulioni
- Primary website
- Travels from: South Pasadena, CA
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed, so you can explore further.