Anne Janzer, author of 33 Ways Not to Screw Up Your Business Emails
Bill Ringle and Anne Janzer discuss common and uncommon mistakes to avoid when sending email for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- Too many details are as bad as too few details. One dilutes the message, the other creates more work to get the necessary details.
- When you write an email, think about what the recipient needs to give you the decision or support you need.
- Be clear with your intention and the details on your email, starting with the subject, and if it’s a task, better add not only what needs to be accomplished but the date on when it should be done. We all want our emails to be acted upon.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Anne recalls her late father, whose sincere and careful writing letters inspired her work. [01:22]
- How to achieve the goal of effective communication through emails. [03:01]
- Anne introduces us to the ‘Goldilocks Zone,’ what we learned from the fairy tale can help improve our emails. [06:09]
- Why the address should come after the content? [08:21]
- Helpful tip: You can set a time frame in Gmail when you can recall a sent email. [09:04]
- What we all can learn from marketing emails. [10:43]
- Anne explains the importance of intonation and how we can apply it in written or typed form. [11:27]
- People often forget that emails are not private. [13:50]
- As spammers become smarter, we should be more cautious with the emails we receive. [14:50]
- Anne advises on how to communicate effectively via email. [16:58]
- My Quest for the best lightning round begins. [19:32]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Anne Janzer is an award-winning author, nonfiction writing coach and unabashed writing geek committed to helping people positively impact their writing. She supports and encourages writers and authors through her books, blog posts, webinars, and teaching.
Her writing-related books explore the science and practice of effective writing.
Before she started writing books, Anne was a freelance marketing consultant, working with more than a hundred technology businesses to articulate positioning and messaging in crowded markets.
She’s been writing business emails longer than she cares to admit—and has made all of the mistakes in her latest book, and more, over the years. She wants to save others from the same problems.
Contact Info and Social Media for Anne Janzer
- Primary website
- Travels from: San Luis Obispo, CA
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed, so you can explore further.
- My Quest for the Best Episode 192: Understanding Subscription Marketing with guest expert Anne Janzer