The Cult of the Customer: Create an Amazing Customer Experience that Turns Satisfied Customers into Customer Evangelists by Shep Hyken
Bill Ringle and Shep Hyken discuss the important implications of assessing and improving your customer service standards to avoid business erosion.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- We can have all the resources we can get our hands on but, if we do not have the passion and the goal to make sure we deliver excellent customer service, customers will just come and go.
- We need to stop giving an ‘okay’ customer service. Instead, we need to make sure that we give amazing customer service. Mediocrity cannot entice customers back to us.
- Leaders should revolutionize customer care in the company. We need to consistently practice providing top-notch customer service and that it should be ingrained in the company culture.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Shep talks about being influenced by his grandfather growing up, and how he learned the value of building trust with customers. [01:35]
- A discussion on why in an era of self-service, customer service is highly relevant. [06:25]
- The story of a genie and three entrepreneurs, and how what each wishes for determines the vibrance of your business. [08:42]
- How the Luggage Project came about. [12:31]
- A deep conversation about the danger of mediocrity. [17:48]
- Consistency of effort should be ingrained into the company culture. [19:25]
- Case study:Wegmans and how they overcome weaker training than their competition. [20:50]
- “Cult” has a negative ring to it, yet Shep explains why it is the perfect word for his book title. [26:34]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins [28:30]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert and the Chief Amazement Officer of Shepard Presentations. He is a New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestselling author and has been inducted into the National Speakers Association Hall of Fame for lifetime achievement in the speaking profession.
Shep works with companies and organizations that want to build loyal relationships with their customers and employees. His articles have been read in hundreds of publications, and he is the author of Moments of Magic®, The Loyal Customer, The Cult of the Customer, The Amazement Revolution, Amaze Every Customer Every Time, and The Convenience Revolution.
He is also the creator of The Customer Focus™, a customer service training program that helps clients develop a customer service culture and loyalty mindset.
Contact Info and Social Media for Shep Hyken
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites, and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.
- Jeff Bezos – the founder and CEO of Amazon.
- Sears – an American chain of department stores.
- Steve Blank at Stanford Business School
- Ritz Carlton
- Jim Bush – Former SVP of American Express