Charlie Gilkey, author of Start Finishing: How to Go from Idea to Done
Bill Ringle and Charlie discuss the powerful forces of clarity and commitment in advancing your critical priorities at work and in other areas of your life for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- The highest level of success cannot be attained alone. We must bring in people that share our values and drive to reach that level.
- Set your own time on when you can make success happen instead of basing your time on how long it took others to achieve theirs.
- Often it is our mindset that misaligns our values from our goals and prevents us from taking action It is important to remember that there many ways to reconcile both as long as we are fully committed to doing what we can to align both.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Charlie talks about the three people who inspired him growing up. His dad, for one, and two military men, Bill Hendricks and James Abernathy. [01:10]
- Lessons learned from the military applicable in small business. [03:52]
- What motivated Charlie to write Start Finishing. [07:51]
- Defining head trash and why it is more important to take our needs and dreams seriously, instead of just fully concerning ourselves on servicing others’ priorities. [15:42]
- Charlie talks about the conflicts between values and goals. [16:37]
- Debunking the myths of success ruining relationships, success versus integrity, and the ‘what if I can do it again’ trap. [18:51]
- More about head trash and misaligned mindset. [23:05]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins [29:20]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Charlie Gilkey helps people start finishing what matters most.
In addition to his books, The Small Business Lifecycle, and Start Finishing, Charlie is the co-host of the Productive Flourishing podcast, and the founder of Productive Flourishing, a top website for planning, prioritization, and productivity for creative people.
Prior to starting Productive Flourishing, he served as an Army Joint Force Military Coordinator and was pursuing a Ph.D. in Philosophy.