>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Susan Basterfield , author of Lead Together: The Bold, Brave, Intentional Path to Scaling Your Business
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- It is not just the leaders, but the team as a collective whole that makes success possible.
- In order for a system to transform, everyone in the hierarchy must be willing to participate.
- Meetings should be about setting proper expectations, implementing good behavior and best practices, holding accountability, and making commitments.
- My 11th-grade history teacher, Mr. Lee encouraged me to have an original idea.
- There are so many things about the way that we operate and move through life that we just don’t pay attention to anymore.
- The challenge that I always post to myself and others is if we can name the water that we’re swimming in.
- We just decided that if we can do a little bit of sacrifice on behalf of everybody, we can actually Eliminate COVID in New Zealand.
- The ubiquity of tools allows us to share information in more asynchronous ways.
- It is probably not wise to make a forever decision, but it can be quite fun to make a decision as an experiment.
- Make the implicit explicit.
- I was told I was too much of a free thinker to work at Microsoft.
- The person who’s currently sitting on top of the pyramid has to be all in and they can’t just be in with lip service.
- A system can’t transform if the whole system is not willing to transform.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- An important person growing up [1:15]
- New Zealand was able to manage COVID because its citizens decided to be a fully cooperative team, with the goal of making their situation better. [06:55]
- Susan shares about the wise agenda, and the four reasons to hold a meeting. [09:05]
- Lightning Round [18:57]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Susan is a catalyst and convener who believes that awareness and discernment can unblock drains and move mountains. From 35-plus years in business—spanning global multinationals, startups, and schools—arose experiences that drive her work as a systems transformation partner. Her work includes standing shoulder to shoulder with leaders and organizations on their transformational journeys, often over many years, and convening virtual development programs, including the Practical Self-Management Intensive. She is an educator, coach, facilitator, writer, and collective entrepreneur. Obsessed with building the capacity to build capacity, Susan seeks out that which is life-giving, dances with complexity, and weeds-out constraints to potential. She practices with Greaterthan, and Enspiral.
Contact Info for Susan Basterfield
Web address: https://enspiral.com/
Travels from: Wellington, Te Aro