Susan Basterfield, co-author of Lead Together: The Bold, Brave, Intentional Path to Scaling Your Business
Susan Basterfield and Bill Ringle discuss ways to involve your team to a greater degree to create a more productive and satisfying work environment for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- It is not just the leaders, but the team as a collective whole that makes success possible.
- In order for a system to transform, everyone in the hierarchy must be willing to participate.
- Meetings should be about setting proper expectations, implementing good behavior and best practices, holding accountability, and making commitments.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Susan’s 11th-grade history teacher, Mr. Lee encouraged her to have original ideas. [1:52]
- A recollection of the report she wrote about the tragic Kent State University School Shooting during a Vietnam war protest. [02:07]
- New Zealand was able to manage COVID because its citizens decided to be a fully cooperative team, with the goal of making their situation better. [06:55]
- Susan talks about working with Culture Amp, an organization dedicated to providing remote facilitation training. [07:40]
- Susan shares about the wise agenda, and the four reasons to hold a meeting. [09:05]
- Here she tells about Jan, who was CEO of a disability services organization called Toto who does not want another bog-standard CEO to replace her. [13:11]
- Defining what being a CEO means. [16:20]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins [18:57]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Susan is a catalyst and convener who believes that awareness and discernment can unblock drains and move mountains. From 35-plus years in business—spanning global multinationals, startups, and schools—arose experiences that drive her work as a systems transformation partner. Her work includes standing shoulder to shoulder with leaders and organizations on their transformational journeys, often over many years, and convening virtual development programs, including the Practical Self-Management Intensive. She is an educator, coach, facilitator, writer, and collective entrepreneur. Obsessed with building the capacity to build capacity, Susan seeks out that which is life-giving, dances with complexity, and weeds-out constraints to potential. She practices with Greaterthan, and Enspiral.
Contact Info and Social Media for Susan Basterfield
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.