Mark Brouker, author of Lessons from the Navy: How to Earn Trust, Lead Teams, and Achieve Organizational Excellence
Mark Brouker and Bill Ringle discuss leadership lessons from a macro perspective along with a breakdown to apply those lessons day-to-day in small business teams and company leadership.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- We need to treat our people with respect, take care of them, and keep them good if we want to be competitive.
- Take every opportunity to build trust, not fear, because a culture of fear can lead to underperformance.
- The sequence of interactions between managers and employees creates the workplace culture.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Mark Brouker talks about the two people who inspired him growing up- his father who taught him the honor of serving your country, and his little league coach, Bill Marlowe who taught him respect. [01:41]
- He talks about why leadership behavior matters a lot. [04:24]
- What is leadership and what makes a good leader? [07:15]
- A discusion about why caring is elusive and gives his advice on how to work on it. [12:13]
- Mark share his own experience working in a culture of fear. [15:23]
- Breeding a culture of fear is strongly discouraged. [17:16]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins. [24:26]
Subscribe on Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Captain Mark Brouker is a United States Navy retired officer who has more than 25 years of leadership experience. 15 of which were in C-suite level positions. He served as a thought-leader, keynote speaker, professor, coach consultant, facilitator, and pharmacist.
During his career. He served as commanding officer at one of the largest Naval hospitals worldwide. As chief of staff for Navy Medicine West, he was responsible for 10 hospitals spanning the West coast of the United States to the Indian ocean and healthcare for 800,000 patients. Or so after transitioning from the military captain broker founded Brouker Leadership Solutions, a company dedicated to helping leaders succeed on their leadership journeys.
He has presented to thousands of professionals in 21 countries as clients include Fortune 500 companies. Mark who lives in San Diego, California, is here to talk about his book “Lessons from the Navy, How to Earn Trust, Lead Teams, and Achieve Organizational Excellence.”
Contact Info and Social Media for Mark Brouker
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO, and his employee’s suggestion.
- Patients Come Second, by Paul Spiegelman.
- Dr. Paul Zak’s study about the secrets of high-performing teams.
- Havard Business Review’s article on Leadership Behaviour