Wayne Baker, PhD, author of All You Have to Do Is Ask: How to Master the Most Important Skill for Success.
Wayne Baker and Bill Ringle discuss the art of asking others for assistance and overcoming the most common obstacles for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Key 3 Takeaways from this Episode
- Research shows that when we can ask for help, we are less frustrated at work or at home.
- Sometimes we don’t ask because we think no one is willing or able to help. Research shows just the opposite: that people are willing and able to help if you ask them.
- Getting the support we need to achieve our goals, at work, and in all the rest of life, is too often inhibited by difficulties we face in asking for it.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Wayne describes how his father encouraged him, and in particular how it helped Wayne ask for help from a middle school French teacher who he found intimidating. [1:35]
- How Wayne became the Director of the Center for Positive Organizations. [4:06]
- Ways that positive psychology publications influenced his work. [6:22]
- Wayne talks about positive deviance and reflective best self. [7:10]
- Most people will help you when you ask, his research and experience has shown. [12:50]
- Wayne describes a model for making an effective request. [15:13]
- Wayne shared an example of a person who applied this practice [16:46]
- The reciprocity ring explained. [24:50]
- Wayne tells about the “rapid-fire session” and how it can be used. [29:50]
- Wayne describes the glow of giving. [32:30]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins [33:17]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Dr. Wayne Baker is the Robert P. Thome (“toe-may”) Professor of Business Administration at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business and Faculty Director of the Center for Positive Organizations. His teaching and research focus on positive organizational scholarship, values, and social networks. Dr. Baker is author of All You Have to Do Is Ask (published January 2020) as well as five other books and many scholarly articles. His other books include Achieving Success Through Social Capital, United America, America’s Crisis of Values, and Networking Smart.
Focused on social capital, social networks, generosity, and positive organizations, he has contributed to Harvard Business Review, Chief Executive Magazine, and Sloan Management Review. A frequent guest speaker and management consultant, Baker is a co-founder and board member of Give and Take Inc., developers of the collaboration technologies based on principles in All You Have to Do Is Ask.
Prior to joining the Michigan faculty, he was on the faculty at the University of Chicago business school. He earned his Ph.D. in sociology from Northwestern University and was a post-doctoral research fellow at Harvard University.
Contact Info for Wayne Baker
Web address: www.waynebaker.org
Book website: www.AllYouHaveToDoIsAsk.com
Travels from: Ann Arbor, MI
Social Media Links
Books Authored by Wayne Baker
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
- CENTER FOR POSITIVE ORGANIZATIONS at the University of Michigan