Steve Herz, author of DON’T TAKE YES FOR AN ANSWER: Using Authority, Warmth, and Energy to Get Exceptional Results
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Steve Herz and Bill Ringle discuss the importance of honest, constructive feedback to improve performance for small business leaders and their teams.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- If you’re looking to change the trajectory of your career, know that it’s often a small tweak or adjustment that’s needed.
- Embracing hard truths and critical feedback is the path to achieving your fullest professional and personal potential.
- Uncertainty is deeply unsettling, and more than ever before, people need their leaders to communicate about what is happening with authority, warmth, and energy.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Steve shares how his Dad started a law firm and inspired him to higher levels of success. [01:28]
- Steve discusses the qualities that it took to be successful in your own firm. [02:35]
- Steve talks about role models and visualization. [05:11]
- Steve states what he hoped the title of the book would convey. [05:44]
- Steve commends 3 elements that help people stand apart. [07:34]
- Steve talks about his purpose for his book. [10:28]
- Steve shares Joe Tory’s success story as he served as the NY Yankees manager under owner George Steinbrenner for 12 seasons. [12:34]
- Steve talks about what people have to realize in order to elevate the importance of warmth in their careers. [17:40]
- Steve articulates the importance of clarity in recommendations. [20:38]
- Steve talks about how to get constructive feedback to help you improve. [22:59]
- Coach Tom Coughlin’s success story at the NY Giants. [26:48]
- Steve shares a lesson from deep listening that comes from being able to watch a very well-written TV dialogue. [33:24]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round [34:42]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
The President and Founding Partner of IF Management, Steve Herz believes that anything is possible.
Just a few years ago, Steve was a portly fellow, about thirty pounds overweight, who could not swim. Undaunted by a lack of physical gifts, he set about to compete in the treacherous Gulf Coast Triathlon in Panama City, Florida. Shedding his extra girth while learning to swim, he met the six-foot waves, the 90-degree temperatures, and completed the prestigious Ironman qualifier in just under seven hours; all the while raising nearly $12,000 for the Leukemia Society and being voted Most Inspirational member of the Team in Training.
That spirit has propelled Steve his whole life. As an undergraduate at the University of Michigan in the mid-80’s Steve took on the entrenched student government and its powerful SAID party with an insurgent campaign forming his own ACTION party and littered the campus with the slogan, “Enough SAID, It’s time for ACTION.” Despite suffering a landslide loss, he continued his political career at Vanderbilt Law School. In Nashville, Steve began a crusade for the underdog, representing indigent criminals while working for the Nashville Public Defender.
After law school, Steve joined the Athletes & Artists division of the Marquee Group, then joined forces with Geller Media Management before starting If Enterprises in 1996. In the summer of 2000, If Enterprises was re-named If Management to reflect the broad range of goals of the company and its clients. As President of If Management, Steve has been a frequent contributor on CNBC, CNN, and Court TV, on a myriad of major issues, including those involving Marv Albert, Latrell Sprewell, and Jayson Williams. Additionally, he has served as a guest lecturer at NYU’s School of Continuing Education.
Contact Info for Steve Herz
Web address: https://stevenherz.com/
Travels from: New York, NY