Paul White, author of Rising Above a Toxic Workplace
Paul White and Bill Ringle discuss the causes of and cures for a toxic workplace for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- Look out for 3 key signals of a toxic workplace: 1) a sick system characterized by disorganization and chaos, lack of communication, lack of accountability, and poor decision-making processes, 2) toxic leaders, and 3) dysfunctional colleagues.
- An initial sign of a dysfunctional workplace is that there are significant problems in communication.
- A toxic work environment exudes negative communication across the organization and in multiple forms.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Paul tells about his target audience and inspiration for his new book, “Rising Above a Toxic Workplace.” [1:38]
- What’s your observation on how a negative work environment occurs? [2:28]
- An innocuous way to use indirect communication [04:28]
- How to ask for feedback effectively [06:42]
- Paul talks about workplace culture as an internal component in an organization [09:46]
- Respond consciously rather than just responding emotionally [10:33]
- Paul advises on how to better handle small-family owned businesses [12:21]
- Face cynicism in the workplace [16:27]
- Rules to help establish that level of fundamental trust and respect at work [18:05]
- Paul shares strategies for more effective and accurate way to provide feedback [19:58]
- The #1 skill related to “Rising Above a Toxic Workplace,” that listeners ought to invest time in learning [25:05]
- Paul stresses a key aspect of surviving a toxic workplace [28:20]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Dr. Paul White is an author, speaker and psychologist, who helps “make work relationships work.”
He created and developed The Motivating By Appreciation Inventory, Appreciation at Work Implementation Kit, and The Toxic Workplace Prevention & Repair Kit that helped many workplaces to become an environment full with positivism and grow towards health.
He also co-authored Rising Above a Toxic Workplace and “Sync or Swim” with Dr. Chapman & Harold Myra.
Dr. White is called upon as an expert resource by U.S. News & World Report (online), BusinessWeek, Entrepreneur.com, FastCompany, Fortune/CNN.com, FoxBusiness.com, Huffington Post LIVE, Chicago Tribune, and BizJournals.
Contact Info for Paul White
Web address: https://www.appreciationatwork.com/
Travels from: Wichita, KS
Social Media Links: