John Kotter, author of Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- Any company that isn’t rethinking its direction at least every few years and then quickly making significant operational changes is putting itself at risk.
- What they do not do well is identify the most important hazards and opportunities early enough, formulate creative strategic initiatives nimbly enough, and implement them fast enough.
- Communication across silos does not happen with sufficient speed or effectiveness.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- John tells about his inspiration and how they influenced him to connect to his potential. [01:30]
- Can you think of a way that their influence your decision that you made at some point in your career [02:30]
- The greatest leaders have a surprising thirst and capacity for and tendency to making themselves vulnerable when it serves them some purpose. [09:39]
- What are some of the things that they should pay more and then less attention to to have an impact and a capacity for leading in a turbulent environment [21:18]
- One of the characteristics of a leader is that they have a sense of opportunities and the critical ones, the bigger ones that exists around them. [22:23]
- They are dedicated to finding ways to help others work with them. [22:40]
- John talks about Dual operating system [31:18]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
John P. Kotter is a best-selling author, award winning business and management thought leader, business entrepreneur and Harvard Professor. His ideas, books, and company help mobilize people around the world to better lead organizations in an era of increasingly rapid change.
Professor Kotter’s MIT and Harvard education laid the foundation for his lifelong passion for educating, motivating, and helping people. His award-winning articles in The Harvard Business Review have sold more reprints than any other author’s, and his 2012 article, “Accelerate!” won the McKinsey award for the world’s most practical and groundbreaking thinking in the business/management arena.
His books have reached millions, and have been printed in over 150 foreign language editions. His 1996 book, Leading Change, was selected by Time magazine in 2011 as one of the 25 most influential business management books ever written. To supplement his books and expand on his ideas, Kotter has released several videos on his teachings, many of which are accessible to anyone interested in his work via YouTube.
Kotter’s research and pursuits in education, business and writing have earned the respect of his peers, helped transform organizations around the world, touched countless lives, and still inspires others to adopt his methods and spread the word. He continues to work to achieve his vision of “millions leading, billions benefiting.”
Professor Kotter is a proud father of two and resides in Boston, MA with his wife.
Contact Info for John Kotter
Web address: https://www.kotterinc.com/
Travels from: Cambridge, MA
Social Media Links: