David Mattson, President and CEO of the Sandler Organization and author of The Road to Excellence: 6 Leadership Strategies to Build a Bulletproof Business
Bill Ringle and Dave Mattson discuss some of the crucial blind spots to building a successful business, as well as the 6 phases of the Excellence Process: Planning, Positions, People, Processes, Performetrics, and Passion.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- Growth is continuous, so training to succeed should also be continuous
- You have to become comfortable talking about money to reach higher levels of success as a small business owner
- Surprising how many companies fail to take advantage of creating an onboarding playbook for success and the many forms it can take
- How a sales manager can successfully link an employee’s personal and corporate goals
- The 6 P’s in the Excellence Process
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- 2:14 How his grandfather inspired Dave to have a strong work ethic.
- 3:55 “I came from a family of non-sales people.”
- 5:26 The importance of putting your own personality into sales.
- 5:39 How Dave started working with David Sandler.
- 7:09 Characteristics of entrepreneurs who need outside help
- 8:04 Why it’s essential for a team of sales people to use the same sales language.
- 9:54 How to recognize when you have a blind spot and what to do about it.
- 10:30 “Being an entrepreneur, it’s a lonely business.”
- 11:10 “People will work harder for themselves than they will for you.”
- 12:06 “In order to link the corporate goal to the personal goal, you should sit down and have a conversation that would look something like this.”
- 14:09 “Do you know the top 2 or 3 goals for the people who work for you? If not, you have a blind spot.”
- 15:21 “If you’re working on the business it’s really tough to work on the business.”
- 15:45 How having best practices allows your employees to mimic success.
- 17:06 “If someone’s stepping into that role, i want them to produce at the same level as the person who’s leaving that role.”
- 17:17 The 6 “P’s” in the excellence process.
- 18:19 “Where I want to then affect where the company will be.”
- 22:12 How to set up your company’s practices so that if the leader or a pivotal employee leaves, the company isn’t paralyzed.
- 24:31 The Lightning Round
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
David Mattson is the CEO and President of Sandler Training, an international training and consulting organization headquartered in North America. Since 1986, he has been a trainer and business consultant for management, sales, interpersonal communication, corporate team building, and strategic planning throughout the United States and Europe. A Wall Street Journal bestselling author, his new book is The Road To Excellence: 6 Leadership Strategies To Build a Bulletproof Business.
Contact Info and Social Media for David Mattson
- Primary Website
- Travels from: Owning Mills, MD (Baltimore area)
- Phone: 410-653-1993
- Connect on LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
Resources Mentioned by David Mattson:
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites, and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.