David A. Fields, founder of Ascendant Consulting and author of The Irresistible Consultant’s Guide to Winning Clients
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
David Fields and Bill Ringle discuss proven methods to winning clients for consultants.
Key points that you’ll learn from this interview:
- Tried and tested ways of getting more prospects
- What it means to have “learning conversations”
- The number one attribute of a right prospect
- How to know it’s time to upgrade your network
- The 5 marketing musts in consulting.
- How to set a basic dashboard to measure outreach
- A better way to ask for referrals
- The significance of putting your client first
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- 1:52 What David is excited about in his life and business right now.
- 2:10 “One of the benefits of running a small business is that the practice serves you if you do it right.”
- 3:28 How having a book in accessible spaces leads to an influx of inquiries.
- 4:15 What it means to have a learning conversation
- 5:21 “In order for me to remain a thought leader in consulting I have to talk to people and understand what they’re doing.”
- 5:58 Why David is interested in how people have failed.
- 6:51”You have to be willing to admit you don’t know, and you need to have a genuine desire to learn.”
- 7:44 “The obstacles are all internal.”
- 8:54 Why if you’re targeting smaller company prospects, you need to make sure they have big issues.
- 11:14 “The place to start is not by defining your target.”
- 11:20 “The number one attribute of a right prospect is that you can reach them.”
- 12:32 Why you need to reach the influencer and the decision maker and make A1 relationships.
- 13:47 Trade associations and the 5 marketing musts in consulting.
- 14:40 How David helped a small firm explode their business through trade associations.
- 16:14 Why trade media is still relevant.
- 17:18 Ways to measure the success of your outreach.”
- 18:08 “There’s a difference between goals and behaviors.”
- 20:10 “Most people absolutely suck at asking for referrals.”
- 21:53 “People who are interesting are people who are doing things.”
- 22:53 “Consulting is not about you.”
- 24:29 How you interact with people everyday, how you respond, affects your business.
- 25:49 “We are wired to think about ourselves.”
- 25:59 My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins.
Subscribe on Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
David A. Fields works with boutique consulting firms and individual consultants across the globe that are eager to accelerate growth, increase profit and create lucrative lifestyle-friendly practices. He has guided consultancies ranging from one-person startups to the consulting divisions of some of the world’s largest companies.
David still advises corporate clients too. After climbing the ranks to become a partner at a prestigious consulting firm in Connecticut, David co-founded Ascendant Consulting, where he has attracted clients such as Abbott Laboratories, Church & Dwight, FMC, Warner Home Video, and many others.
David’s books include Amazon’s highest-rated book on the business of consulting released in the past 20 years: The Irresistible Consultant’s Guide to Winning Clients.
He also leads the Ascendant Consortium, a unique, “general contractor” model in which David acts as both a client and consultant on the same project. The consortium now includes more than 150 consultants whose clients are a Who’s Who of the global business world. The Ascendant Consortium was a breakthrough for David professionally, and in this model high-dollar, high-margin projects are the norm.
David received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Carnegie Mellon. (Go plaid!) He is a hockey fanatic and eats egregious amounts of chocolate.
Contact Info and Social Media for David Fields
Resources Mentioned by David Fields:
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites, and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.