249: Amanda Setili, author of The Agility Advantage: How to Identify and Act on Opportunities in a Fast-Changing World
Amanda Setili, author of The Agility Advantage
Amanda Setili and Bill Ringle discuss The Agility Advantage: How to Identify and Act on Opportunities in a Fast-Changing World for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- Agility as the ability to see what’s going on in the marketplace, anticipate what might happen next and capitalize on finding a way to create something good on whatever changes that’s coming at you.
- The faster and more surprising the change, the greater the advantage for companies that respond quickly.
- Marketplace changes create new opportunities for us to surge ahead of competitors.
Tweet-Ready Insights from this EpisodeWhen you need to do something new, you need to break things up without breaking the whole company.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author of The Agility Advantage Click To Tweet Often capitalizing on the change can take years, take a long time to be able to develop new capabilities, bring out new products, adopt your company to the change.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author of The… Click To Tweet It's very important not to get stuck in the decision phase but make a decision about what you can do tomorrow in the general direction on where you want to go.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author of The… Click To Tweet Uncertainty is more stressful to humans than knowing that something bad is definitely going to happen.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author of The Agility Advantage Click To Tweet Businesses that are willing to take on more risk and operate in uncertain environments can win a competitive advantage over those that are not.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author of The Agility Advantage Click To Tweet Minimize risk while taking advantage of changes that occur in the business environment, is an uncommon capability that can be a tremendous source of competitive advantage.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author… Click To Tweet Capitalize on uncertainties in your market, rather than letting them slow you down.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author of The Agility Advantage Click To Tweet Get in sync with customers, gain early insight into changing needs, and bring the right solutions to market.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author of The Agility Advantage Click To Tweet Open the floodgates of employee creativity, empowering employees to respond quickly and effectively to emerging opportunities.>> #MQ4B Ep249 with Amanda Setili (@AmandaSetili), author of The Agility Advantage Click To Tweet
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Amanda shares her inspiration and how he inspired her. [1:20]
- She recalled a time when that boldness and curiosity that her mentor taught her had influenced her life. [02:22]
- Can you define what agility is in the context of business change? [04:42]
- She talks about capitalizing on change [05:15]
- How do you characterize an opportunity that’s worth pursuing? [07:18]
- How do you help companies find ways to take advantage of the opportunities and to not sit in the decision making process too long [9:15]
- Can you give me some examples of how you set some matrix against learning what customer need, what they’re willing to pay for as a learning goal [11:19]
- The role of creativity and agility are closely intertwined, is that something that you’ve observed? [12:43]
- Talk about data and using data to analyze the market [16:01]
- Can you give some examples of symptoms that a corporate leader might be experiencing that would indicate a need for agility [19:07]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins [22:11]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Amanda Setili is president of strategy consulting firm Setili & Associates. An internationally acclaimed expert on strategic agility®, she gives her clients—including Cardinal Health, Coca-Cola, Delta Air Lines, The Home Depot, UPS and Walmart—unbiased and laser-clear advice on how to respond quickly and intelligently to a changing marketplace.
Setili has advised organizations in industries as diverse as consumer and industrial products, financial services, technology, non-profit, and retail. Her work has taken her throughout North America, Europe and Asia.
Before starting Setili & Associates, she served as director of marketing for Global Food Exchange, consulted for McKinsey & Company (where she planted seeds that became the firm’s Kuala Lumpur office), served as chief operating officer of Malaysia’s leading Internet services company, and developed products and optimized manufacturing operations for Kimberly-Clark.
Setili is author of Fearless Growth: The New Rules to Stay Competitive, Foster Innovation, and Dominate Your Markets (Career Press, 2017) and The Agility Advantage, How to Identify and Act On Opportunities in a Fast-Changing World (Jossey-Bass, 2014).
Setili served as an adjunct professor at Emory’s Goizueta Business School. She earned her degree in chemical engineering from Vanderbilt, and her MBA, with distinction, from the Harvard Business School. She is past president and board chair of the Harvard Business School Club of Atlanta.
Contact Info for Amanda Setili
Web address: https://setili.com/
Travels from: Atlanta, Georgia
Social Media Links: