Liz Kelly, author of 8-Second PR – New Public Relations Crash Course (2nd Edition, 2022)
Bill Ringle and Liz Kelly discuss how to refine your story and your message to the elements that will get the greatest response from the media to promote your book, product, or cause for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- To be successful in your message, remember to not make it all about you.
- For anyone who wants to be a guest on TV shows and podcasts, start with smaller shows first to gain more experience, growing your qualification and reputation as a guest people want to have in their shows.
- Impart to your audience the richness you have inside and allow them to relate to you.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Liz talks about what it’s like growing up with a really great mother, who happens to be her biggest influence. [01:38]
- From writing her dating book to being the go-to person for PR, Liz talks about why she decided to serve others. [03:48]
- A great tip to people who want to write a book or start a business: It’s not all about you. [06:04]
- To find your media gold, Liz gives strong emphasis on not holding back when working with a publicist. [10:00]
- Josh is a CEO who runs an addiction center for veterans. Josh’s media gold is his own humbling experience his clients and a lot of people who are struggling with addiction can relate to and he shares it in a funny, humbling, and very inspiring way. [11:13]
- Bing on a big TV show like Oprah or a podcast like Tim Ferris is not the first step. [14:33]
- Michelle is a client of Liz’s who is a natural spokesperson. Liz talks about what makes someone an ideal guest. [16:35]
- Rick is another great client of Liz who knows how to draw people in. Because of this, he is always invited back to be a guest. [21:33]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [24:45]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Liz H. Kelly (Santa Monica, CA) is Goody PR Founder, Award-Winning Author of “8-Second PR”, Podcast Host (8-Second Branding) and Goody Business Book Awards Founder. Based on 15+ years of public relations and marketing experience, Kelly is passionate about magnifying brands and experts through timely marketing and public relations campaigns. After working as an executive at Paramount Pictures, MySpace, Sprint PCS, and LA startups, Kelly decided to start Goody PR. While booking 500+ TV, print, radio and podcast media interviews for her first book (“Smart Man Hunting”) over 5 years, Kelly fell in love with the art of brand storytelling and creating timely media hooks. Her work has been featured on CNN, ABC News, FOX News, USA TODAY, The Chicago Tribune, Thrive Global, Buzzfeed, KTLA, KCBS, BBC Radio, NPR and many more. She has booked clients on the TODAY Show, PBS, CNN, FOX Business, BBC World News, NPR, and in TIME, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal and thousands of media outlets. As fun facts, Kelly is a Johns Hopkins University Carey School of Business alumni from Baltimore, Maryland, loves photography, has been a red carpet reporter at Oscar events, Sundance, Comic-Con, and more with several videos with 1+ million views, and is an autism advocate.
Contact Info and Social Media for Liz Kelly
- Primary website
- Travels from: Santa Monica, California
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed, so you can explore further.
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev (Vampire Diaries) answer Delana Rain Kiss Question at 2014 Paley Fest – Goody Awards
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
Published by Liz Kelly
ADD IMAGE LINK TO AMAZON BOOK(S)
*** DELETE this line once Stage 1 is complete. Make sure you are now the post Author. ***