Jonathan Milligan, author of Your Message Matters: How to Rise Above the Noise and Get Paid for What You Know
Bill Ringle and Johnathan Milligan discuss what it means to share a message, be a messenger, and find your voice so that you can be paid for your knowledge and expertise for entrepreneurs, experts, and small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- There is power in being specific, so create a specific message that is worth sharing and that you can monetize.
- It is better to narrow it down to a specific audience and provide a specific solution to target a particular problem. It lets our niche know that we are the experts in this subject matter, and the solution we offer is worth more than their money.
- Find out what kind of messenger you are, if you’re a writer, a teacher, a speaker, or a coach. If you know your strength, you can build a business that you love, and that will make you better at serving others.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- As a kid, Jonathan got his first glimpse of how to run a business by observing his grandfather and witnessing how both his customers and employees trust him. [01:05]
- When the need to handle a delicate matter arose during his teaching career, Jonathan remembered how his grandfather acted when challenges arose and handled the situation in the same calm and caring manner as his grandpa did. [03:02]
- Know your message, how to be an effective messenger, and create a message that is not only worth sharing but also something you can monetize.[05:21]
- Bryan was a student of Jonathan’s who had a good message, but it was not specific enough for his target audience. Jonathan helps him learn how the more specific a message is, the more powerful it is. [06:57]
- Jonathan shares his own story of how he succeeded by narrowing down his message to a specific audience. [09:00]
- His Influencer Voice Assessment breaks down the kinds of messenger roles into four: Writer, teacher, speaker, and coach. [11:46]
- Martha was a student of his who wanted to start a business that would enable her to use her experience and knowledge as a consultant to help others. However, she does not want to be a coach and fears this is the only way to move forward if she wants to make something of herself. After she took Influencer Voice Assessment, Jonathan was able to help her move forward with a career that not only suits her better but she actually loves. [13:43]
- Jonathan talks about four keystone habits that make effective messengers: Creating free value, capturing habits, compiling habits, and connecting habits. [17:08]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [24:34]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Jonathan Milligan is an author, blogger, speaker, and online business coach. He has spent the last decade guiding and directing creative professionals on how to pursue meaningful work. Since 2009, Jonathan has run his own portable lifestyle business online. Today he teaches others how to build a business with their passion, story, or message. He lives in Jacksonville, Florida, with his wife, Charity, and their two kids.
Contact Info and Social Media for Jonathan Milligan
- Primary website
- Travels from: Jacksonville, FL – Florida
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed, so you can explore further.
- The Elite Road Warrior: Six Energy Habits to Master the Business Travel Life by Bryan Paul Buckley