Brian Ahearn, author of Influence PEOPLE: Powerful Everyday Opportunities to Persuade that are Lasting and Ethical
Bill Ringle and Brian Ahern discuss improving your ability to influence others ethically as a small business leader.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- Our mission statement defines our goals and creates a clearer view of our desired results in business and life.
- When we help others, building authentic relationships is not about us; it is about them. It is about knowing them, and connecting with them as people, not just prospects.
- Influencing others would be impossible if you can’t even persuade yourself.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- “Luck was where preparation met opportunity,” a piece of advice by Brian’s high school football coach, resonated with him. [01:44]
- Brian shares his career in the insurance agency and his transition to leading his speaking and training company, and landing his first client, Al. [03:07]
- The benefits of creating and using a personal mission statement. [06:09]
- How our mission statement correlates with our effectiveness in serving others in a way that serves both them and us? [08:26]
- How ‘the liking principle is often the first step of ethical persuasion. [13:28]
- The second principle of ethical persuasion: is unity and how it has even more impact than liking. [18:18]
- In the book, Influence People, learning from the protagonist, John, shows how reaching out to someone we are deeply connected to is not just helping them; it also feels like we are helping ourselves. [20:17]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [24:05]
- The principle of authority is the third principle of ethical persuasion. Brian elaborates on the importance of building our reputation in our field. [28:30]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Brian Ahearn is a dynamic international keynote speaker, author, coach, and consultant. He specializes in applying the science of influence in everyday situations.
He is one of only a dozen individuals in the world who currently holds the Cialdini Method Certified Trainer® (CMCT) designation and one of just a handful to have earned the Cialdini Persuasion Trainer (CPT) designation.
These specializations in the psychology of persuasion were earned directly from Robert Cialdini, Ph.D., the most cited living social psychologist in the world on the science of ethical influence. Brian is also a Competent Toastmaster and a Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter.
A cum laude graduate of Miami University, Brian has been in the business arena for more than 30 years and training people for over two decades.
Named one of the Top 100 Influencers of 2016 by the Science of Digital Marketing, Brian’s blog has readers in 200 countries and was one of the Top 30 Psychology Blogs of 2012 according to the Online Psychology Degree Guide.
Brian’s first book – Influence PEOPLE: Powerful Everyday Opportunities to Persuade that are Lasting and Ethical – came out in August 2019 and quickly reached Amazon’s best-seller status in several categories. It was also named one of the Top 100 Influence Books of All Time by BookAuthority. His second book, Persuasive Selling for Relationship Driven Insurance Agents, was an Amazon new release bestseller in several categories.
Contact Info and Social Media for Brian Ahearn
- Primary website
- Travels from: Columbus, Ohio Metropolitan Area
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites, and other resources that we discussed, so you can explore further.
- Amy Franko
- Vanessa Bohns