Giovanni Dienstmann, author of Mindful Self-Discipline: Living with Purpose and Achieving Your Goals in a World of Distractions
Bill Ringle and Giovanni Dienstmann discuss the importance of relying on your commitments rather than your motivation for accomplishing more as a small business leader.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways
- Commitment should be the foundation on which we build change, not motivation, because, unlike motivation, commitment does not fluctuate. Commitment is not about how we feel today. Regardless of our mood, commitment is non-negotiable.
- Meditation can be helpful in boosting our ability to focus, which could be very advantageous when it comes to pursuing our goals.
- Respect the commitment you made for yourself by channeling those thoughts into energy and action.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Giovanni was inspired by the teachings of Buddha, which he read about growing up, which led him to embrace mindfulness practices. [01:13]
- When he first discovered the happiness and contentment in meditating. [04:24]
- Mediation gave him the power of focus, which is advantageous in his different careers. [03:53]
- Defining self-discipline and clearing the misconceptions surrounding it.[04:49]
- CASE: Adam, whose serious YouTube addiction made it hard to focus on his work, finds his way past the distractions. [06:52]
- The difference between awareness and willpower. [09:07]
- The ‘never zero commitment.’ [12:46]
- Giovanni shares his strategy for achieving aspirations. [MM:SS]
- From working for the Brazilian government’s labor court to being an entrepreneur, Giovanni talks about his career transition. [MM:SS]
- Giovanni shares how he reoriented himself after his career shit. [MM:SS]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins [MM:SS]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
As a self-discipline coach, Giovanni Dienstmann has helped hedge fund managers, CEOs, entrepreneurs, ambitious professionals, artists and pro athletes to live a more focused and disciplined life. Since 2014 he has been successfully coaching people to overcome distractions, procrastination, self-doubt, fear, and other forms of self-sabotage.
Whatever self-discipline challenges you face, and whatever excuse you are telling yourself—Giovanni has seen it, and has developed a tool to deal with it.
Whether you need help building a consistent morning routine, breaking bad habits, finding your life purpose, increasing motivation and willpower, achieving your goals, or simply being more effective with your time and energy, Mindful Self-Discipline can help.
As a meditation teacher, Giovanni runs LiveAndDare.com, which is one of the top five most visited meditation blogs on the web. His first book, Practical Meditation, is available in eight different languages and has popularly been called “the meditation Bible”. Giovanni has over 10,000 hours of personal meditation practice and is a sought-after consultant to award-winning meditation apps. His meditation programs have helped over 20,000 people start a daily meditation practice, improve their psychological well-being, and master their minds.
Contact Info and Social Media for Giovanni Dienstmann
- Primary website
- Travels from: Cheero Point, NSW Australia
- Connect on: Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram | YouTube | Facebook
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites, and other resources that we discussed, so you can explore further.
- Courses offered by Giovanni Dienstmann
- Articles and blog posts are written by Giovanni Dienstmann
- Practical Meditation: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide
- The Buddha
- Insight Timer