Doug Conant, author of The Blueprint: 6 Practical Steps to Lift Your Leadership to New Heights
Bill Ringle and Doug Conant discuss the importance of creating a blueprint for your leadership style, so that you can share it and have greater impact and fulfillment in your business and life.
#Leadership #LeadershipModel #Insights #Clarity #BetterDecisions
Week of April 4-8, 2022:
Join Doug Conant and top thought leader guests on the BLUEPRINT Summit.
–> Brené Brown, Liz Wiseman, Steve Collis, and Susan Cain
–> Learn more about your Leadership Blueprint
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- Your life, your experiences, and the totality of who you are are your leadership. Personal leadership must be authentic to be effective.
- Plan for your leadership: Know your purpose. Know what you want to accomplish. Chose how you will show up as a leader.
- Leaders understand that delivery matters more than the size of your company or the title on your business card.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- ”Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least.”- A powerful quote from Stephen Covey to Doug, influences and guides his leadership. [01:16]
- Doug shares how this quote influenced his project planning. [02:11]
- The importance of starting with the task that matters most. [04:15]
- The motivation behind his book ’The Blueprint.’ [04:55]
- ’You can either walk inside your story and own it, or you can walk outside your story and hustle for worthiness.’- a quote by Brene Brown. [06:56]
- Your life story is your leadership story. [08:45]
- CASE: Mary, head of HR for a major baseball team, realized that she sets aside what matters to her the most whenever she is at work. Changing that changed her ability to contribute at work and feel greater satisfaction. [10:18]
- ‘The Blueprint’ is dedicated to people who feel stuck. Doug gives on how to get unstuck. [13:05]
- Plan your leadership consciously. [14:59]
- Doug talks bout his previous work experiences, his previous careers, and his 56 bosses. [16:14]
- CASE: Stanley, CEO of a small company that became a multi-billion dollar company, had an important insight: One thing he respects and values is team spirit. [18:35]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins [22:04]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Doug Conant is the founder and CEO of Conant Leadership, which is dedicated to helping improve the quality of leadership in the 21st century. He is passionate about employee engagement and firmly believes in the importance of coming up with your own leadership model.
Doug was appointed President and CEO of Campbell Soup Company in 2001. Under his leadership, Campbell reversed a precipitous decline in market value and employee engagement; the company has won wide recognition since, including the prestigious 2010 Catalyst Award. When Doug retired in 2011, he received the American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) 2011 Champion of Workplace Learning and Performance Award.
Doug joined Campbell with 25 years of experience from three of the world’s leading food companies: General Mills, Kraft, and Nabisco. He began his career in 1976 in marketing at General Mills. After 10 years, he moved to Kraft where he held top management positions in marketing and strategy. Immediately prior to coming to Campbell, he was President of the $3.5 billion Nabisco Foods Company where he led his team to improved marketplace performance and five consecutive years of double-digit earnings growth.
During his tenure at Campbell, Doug established the Campbell CEO Institute to train the company’s future leaders and ensure that the company’s highest-potential employees were well-equipped to handle the challenges and surprises that inevitably create a leader’s impact and legacy.
He is now a sought-after speaker on leading with integrity and other business topics and is the co-author of the New York Times bestselling book TouchPoints: Creating Powerful Leadership Connections in the Smallest of Moments.
Contact Info and Social Media for Doug Conant:
- Primary Website
- Travels From: Philadelphia, PA
- Connect on LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.
- My Quest for the Best interview: 116: Turning the Coin Over with guest expert Doug Conant
- Stephen Covey
- Mettle Norgaard – co-author of TouchPoints: Creating Powerful Leadership Connections in the Smallest of Moments.
- Amy Federman– co-author of The Blueprint
- Brene Brown
- Michael Gerber
- Thomas Jefferson
- Elon Musk