Ron Friedman, author of Decoding Greatness: How the Best in the World Reverse Engineer Success
Bill Ringle and Ron Friedman discuss the strategies and stories behind reverse engineering success stories for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- Reconstruct existing and proven ideas and in your own way, add more efficiency to it or make it unique.
- Observe, study, collect the objects, principles, behaviors, and best practices in your field and apply these patterns.These patterns can be the blueprint of your success.
- Connectedness is the center of high-performing teams. Communication builds strong relationships and clears misunderstandings, and a means to show appreciation to your colleagues, which leads to high performance.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- New York Knick coach Pat Riley’s book, The Winner Within, opened Ron’s eyes to the power of human motivation. [01:16]
- One of the studies that Ron did during graduate school was looking to see whether there is or isn’t an impact of seeing a Michael Jordan jersey on a basketball performance. [02:42]
- The factors that lead people to perform at their best. [03:46]
- Does greatness comes from talent? [04:03]
- Or does it come from practice? [04:21]
- Ron talks about the power of reverse engineering in achieving greatness. [04:58]
- The process of reverse engineering. [05:25]
- An elaboration of the insight of viability and how it distinguishes mega entrepreneurs like Jeff Bezos, Mark Cuban and Richard Branson. [07:12]
- What we can learn from Tinder bout how they used algorithms. [11:41]
- Ron talks about his first book, The Best Place to Work. [13:54]
- Connectedness is the heart of high-performing teams. [14:37]
- Appreciation plays a key role to having superior performance. [16:20]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round. [29:37]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Popular accounts of his research have appeared on NPR and in major newspapers, including The New York Times, Financial Times, The Globe and Mail, Washington Post, The Guardian, as well as magazines such as Men’s Health, Entrepreneur, and Success. He is a frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, Psychology Today, Fast Company, Forbes, and CNN.
His first book, The Best Place to Work, was named an Inc. Magazine Best Business Book of the Year. His new book, Decoding Greatness: How the Best in the World Reverse Engineer Success, was selected by Amazon’s editors as one of this year’s best non-fiction books.
Contact Info and Social Media for Ron Friedman
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites, and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.
- Pat Riley -former coach of the New York Knicks and author of The Winner Within: A Life Plan for Team Players.
- Michael Jordan
- Jeff Bezos
- Mark Cuban
- Richard Branson