Melody Wilding, author of TRUST YOURSELF: Stop Overthinking and Channel Your Emotions for Success at Work
Bill Ringle and Melody Wilding discuss the duality and depths of people who have both high-ambition and high-sensitivity in their personality, woking and leading in small and mid-sized businesses.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- It is essential for leaders to check the emotional and mental state of their teams. This can create psychological safety and better engagement that can help the team adjust to and navigate the new challenges that come with a new working environment.
- Leaders should believe in their judgments, and that this confidence in trusting their own abilities and what they can contribute is something they need to pass down to their teams.
- Resentment is an urgent issue that can be avoided by having an open conversation. Leaders must promote a culture where employees are not afraid to air their concerns.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Melody describes how her parents – entrepreneurs and music lovers alike – inspired her with their examples of hard work and caring for their customers. [01:04]
- Where Melody began her personal empowerment approach to coaching business leaders while attending Columbia University, which lead her to meet and work with highly-driven people. [03:37]
- The importance of being observant, perceptive and empathetic. [05:45]
- What makes the biggest difference for sensitive strivers is having the tools and skills to maximize your strengths. [6:06]
- Sensitive strivers may be your greatest untapped advantage during the pandemic lockdown (or anytime you’re bringing a remote team together). [7:55]
- Asking the right question helps to know the team, their abilities, and the best way to lead and delegate. [09:53]
- How remote leaders can best keep engaged with their remote teams. [13:53]
- Case study with Travis: the unfortunate dynamic of being consumed with ‘I should be’ when deciding. [16:49]
- Melody’s personal wake up call took place when she chose work over a dear friend’s wedding early on in her career. [20:05]
- The My Quest for the Best Round begins [22:25]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Melody Wilding, LSW, is an executive coach for Sensitive Strivers and the author of TRUST YOURSELF: Stop Overthinking and Channel Your Emotions for Success at Work.
Contact Info and Social Media for Melody Wilding
- Primary Website
- Travels from: New York, NY
- Social media: LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Medium
- TedX Talk: Trying to Change? How Self-Doubt Can Actually Help | Melody Wilding | TEDxBergenCommunityCollege
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.
- Columbia University School of Social Work
- FOMO – fear of missing out
- About 1 in 5 people may be sensitive strivers with measurable brain differences that lead them to be more attuned to others.
- Favorite song as a teen: Dashboard Confessional Hands Down