Scott Young, author of Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition and Accelerate Your Career
Scott Young and Bill Ringle discuss how to rethink the importance of learning as a competitive advantage for small business leaders.
> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- If something is not working the way you want it to even after you follow all the steps, step back to see all the angles and see if there are other ways to approach it.
- Things should be approached with an analytical mind. While following steps is important, keep in mind that there is a diversity of doing things.
- Genius can be built by acquired learning, so we need to immerse ourselves in an environment where we learn.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Scott talks about how his grandfather’s gusto to learn inspired his curiosity for life and learning. [00:54]
- Why a bad learning experience can be a barrier to being better at something. [03:46]
- How his MIT project and how
- announcing it publicly gave him positive reinforcement that he can and will deliver. [09:55]
- A discussion about David Autor’s skill polarization. [13:09]
- What he learned about language learning and its application to Ultra Learning. [17:03]
- Tyler Cowen imparts to us the value of learning things. [14:04]
- Scott Young and the language learning experiment. [14:42]
- Scott talks about one of his childhood heroes, Richard Feynman, and explains how genius can be acquired by acquired knowledge. [23:01]
- The My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins [25:00]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Scott Young is a writer who undertakes interesting self-education projects, such as attempting to learn MIT’s four-year computer science curriculum in twelve months and learning four languages in one year. He lives in Vancouver Canada.
Contact Info for Scott Young
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites, and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.
- The Polarization of U.S Labor, by David Autor
- Tyler Cowen – American Economist
- Richard Feynman – a Nobel Prize-winning American theoretical physicist, known for his work in the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics