Jessica Barker, author of Confident Cyber Security: How to Get Started in Cyber Security and Futureproof Your Career
Jessica Barker and Bill Ringle discuss how the risks for data hacking, ransomware, and identity theft are greater than ever for small business leaders, and how to stay vigilant and protected.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- Cybercrime can cause emotional damage. If you are a victim of cybercrime, do not be ashamed to ask for help.
- Be proactive in protecting your information. This means, as much as possible, avoiding putting private information online.
- Educating ourselves about cybersecurity is a must if we want to ensure that our businesses are safe and that we will have peace of mind.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Jessica shares how her family made her aware that people’s lives can be challenging and her brother, who first introduced her to technology, inspired her growing up. [00:42]
- A vital part of Jessica’s job is to empower people to feel safe online through cybersecurity. [04:27]
- Jessica shares how cybercrime can take a toll on someone’s mental health. [06:42]
- Jessica had led an awareness-raising session in Canada where she talked about malware on emails. [07:19]
- With the covid pandemic lockdown making people work from home, there is an increase in people needing cyber protection. [11:13]
- Jessica talks about how cybercrime is evolving and the trends to watch as a small business manager or leader. [13:56]
- Cybercriminals don’t need to target you to victimize you. [16:49]
- Shipping giant MAERSK fell victim to cybercrime when its computers and networks were hacked, causing the business to shut down and lose tons of money. [17:16]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins. [26:47]
Subscribe to Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Jessica Barker has been named one of the top 20 most influential women in cybersecurity in the UK and in 2017 was awarded one of the UK’s Tech Women 50. Co-Founder and co-CEO of Cygenta, she is a popular keynote speaker internationally and a frequent contributor to print and broadcast media.
Contact Info and Social Media for Jessica Barker
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
- Sir John Sawyers, former chief of the Secret Intelligence Service, now working for BP.
- Taylor Swift, a songwriter and performer, pays attention to IP theft of her material.
- MAERSK – A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S, also known simply as Maersk, is a Danish integrated shipping company active in ocean and inland freight transportation and associated services, such as supply chain management and port operation.
- Ed Sheeran – an English singer, songwriter, record producer, musician, actor, and businessman.