Kevin Eikenberry, author of The Long-Distance Teammate: Stay Engaged and Connected While Working Anywhere.
Kevin Eikenberry and Bill Ringle discuss practical examples of establishing meaningful connections with your colleagues and direct reports working remotely for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- Great engagement is not only making conversations during meetings and delegating tasks, but consistent check-ins on the progress of each team member, making sure that everyone is in the loop, and ensuring that each conversation has a valuable outcome.
- It matters a lot when leaders check in on how employees are doing. Not only does it make the team more engaged, but it builds trust, and in return, prompts better performance from each member.
- Trust a must-have for any team to perform best, and it is best defined through actions, motives, commitment, and open conversations.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Kevin shares how his dad, who made him feel that his a part of the family business at a young age, is such a huge influence in his life. [01:09]
- The first time Kevin applied for a loan he was still in the fourth grade. [02:42]
- The meaning and importance of engagement – what it really means to engage, whose responsibility it is, and why it matters so much. [05:57]
- Case study: Sharon, who wants to have an organization that is more engaged and how they were able to help her and achieve a sense of leadership and commitment. [07:54]
- The richness versus the scope of interaction – how they differ and which matters more. [10:03]
- Case study: George, who actively reaches out to everyone in his team via phone and what effect that creates. [14:18]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [18:28]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
My Quest for the Best with Bill Ringle is the podcast for ambitious small business leaders.
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Kevin Eikenberry founded the Kevin Eikenberry Group in 1993 and is the co-founder of the Remote Leadership Institute. Eikenberry has twice been named one of Inc.’s Top 100 Leadership and Management Experts in the World.
He is the author or co-author of three Amazon bestsellers: Remarkable Leadership, From Bud to Boss, and The Long-Distance Leader.
His new book, co-authored with Wayne Turmel, is titled: The Long-Distance Teammate: Stay Engaged and Connected While Working Anywhere.
Contact Info for Kevin Eikenberry
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.
- Wayne Turmel, co-author of The Long-Distance Teammate: Stay Engaged and Connected While Working Anywhere