Wayne Turmel, author of The Long-Distance Teammate: Stay Engaged and Connected While Working Anywhere
Wayne Turmel and Bill Ringle discuss practical and effective ways to work together in different physical locations for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- Remote work poses a challenge to employee engagement. When managing a remote team, managers should make an extra effort to converse in order to check not only the progress of the team as a whole, but that of its individual members.
- Using the correct language when conversing with employees not only strengthens your relationship but also gives them confidence that they can do their jobs.
- A team is responsible for each other’s well-being, thus, it is important for leaders to stress out the importance of mutual responsibility, and make sure that each and every member is fully committed to being in the team.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Wayne talks about how he was impressed by families running small businesses in British Columbia. [1:14]
- Wayne’s first management job experience and how did not do things without fully understanding the reason behind it. [03:07]
- Wayne puts deep emphasis on the usage of the right terminology when addressing people in a company. [05:11]
- The pandemic lockdown and remote work made people feel out of sight, out of mind. Wayne stresses out the importance of ensuring that there is no disconnect between the employees and the leadership and why this will allow employees to contribute more. [06:43]
- Wayne talks about Sandra and Sam and discusses why managers should know how to communicate with their teams especially now that people are working at home. [12:12]
- Wayne talks about Gary and why managers need to start a conversation with employees for them to be fully willing to speak. [15:18]
- My Quest for the Best lightning round begins. [23:29]
Subscribe on Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Wayne Turmel is the co-founder of the Remote Leadership Institute.
Turmel is the author or co-author of seven nonfiction books, including The Long-Distance Teammate, The Long-Distance Leader and Meet Like You Mean It. See links below.
Contact Info and Social Media for Wayne Turmel
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.
- Slack– a business communication platform to manage teams.