John Knights, author of Leading Beyond the Ego: How to Become a Transpersonal Leader
John Knights and Bill Ringle discuss the importance of understanding who you are the effect you have on others as a foundation of effective leadership for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Top 3 Takeaways from this Interview
- Listening to and asking for insightful questions far exceeds telling people what to do.
- An effective leader is not self-centered, but someone who takes into account his staff and his community as a whole.
- Being a transpersonal leader is a lifelong commitment.
Read the Show Note from this Episode
- John Knights talks about how his sailing club teacher Mr. Green, gave him an opportunity to experience winning. [01:17]
- He shares his experience working for a giant company in Sweden and the life-changing transition that lead him to where he is now. [4:35]
- The traits of the best leaders, according to John, are the same throughout generations. [9:49]
- John Knights shares about Gregor, a COO in a bank, and how he helped transform their workplace from just a workplace to a place where people feel fulfilled. [12:15]
- Bhutan and their unique measurement of success- happiness. [16:48]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins [22:23]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
John Knights, a co-founder, and chairman of LeaderShape, is an experienced coach, mentor, and facilitator of senior executives, teams, and peer groups. He is the lead author of the acclaimed book, “Leading Beyond the Ego” and many other publications. John is an expert in Emotional Intelligence and a thought leader in ‘Transpersonal Leadership’ and the relationship between neuroscience and leadership. John developed LEIPA and 8ICOL, some of the most sophisticated 360 degree leadership assessments ever developed.
For the ever faster-changing world of the 21st century, we need a new kind of leader for the human race and the planet to prosper. With colleagues, John has developed the Transpersonal Leadership Development Journey to produce leaders who operate beyond their ego to create performance-enhancing and sustainable cultures. They are be radical, ethical and authentic while emotionally intelligent and caring, as well as believing in life-long personal learning and development.
Before becoming an expert on developing leaders that are suitable for leading in the 21st century, John had a distinguished career as a senior international corporate executive and as an entrepreneur. Before the age of 40, he had attained the position of a corporate VP of a Fortune 100 company and the main board director of one the largest companies in the UK.
As an entrepreneur, he started up a number of companies, including several in environmental technology. His life changed when he got the opportunity to learn to coach and was then invited to work with groups of CEOs to help them become better leaders. In 2003, John and his colleagues established LeaderShape Global where they have developed a codified, replicable, and configurable process, using advanced learning methodologies to develop the leaders up to Masters degree level.
Contact Info and Social Media for John Knights
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
Below are key people, places, books, quotes, websites and other resources that we discussed so you can explore further.