John Knights and Bill Ringle discuss the importance of understanding who you are the effect you have on others as a foundation of effective leadership for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
John Knights, author of Leading Beyond the Ego: How to Become a Transpersonal Leader
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- Listening to and asking for insightful questions far exceeds telling people what to do.
- An effective leader is not self-centered, but someone who takes into account his staff and his community as a whole.
- Being a transpersonal leader is a lifelong commitment.
- You could build something yourself and then you could actually sale it and hope to win.
- The best leaders are the people that think beyond their own self-interest.
- Emotional intelligence is being aware of yourself, of your own feelings, and managing those feelings.
- If you haven’t got yourself under control, then it’s not possible to really help or to know other people.
- Building relationships enables us to our organizations.
- You can develop self awareness at an earlier age proactively, then you can accelerate and mature your leadership much more quickly.
- If you have your ego at the center of what you’re doing, then you’re just doing it for your own. Self-interest.
- Becoming a transpersonal leader is an ongoing lifelong journey.
- If you don’t have a certain level of emotional intelligence, then you can’t go to these higher levels of looking at purpose and values.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Sir John Knights talks about how his sailing club Mr. Green, gave him an opportunity to win. [01:17]
- John shares his experience working for a giant company in Sweden and the life-changing transition that lead him to where he is now. [4:35]
- The traits of the best leaders, according to John, are the same throughout generations. [9:49]
- John Knights shares about Gregor, a COO in a bank, and how he helped transform their workplace from just a workplace to a place where people feel fulfilled. [12:15]
- John shares his appreciation of Bhutan and how success is measured by happiness. [16:48]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round. [22:23]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
John Knights, a co-founder, and chairman of LeaderShape, is an experienced coach, mentor, and facilitator of senior executives, teams, and peer groups. He is the lead author of the acclaimed book, “Leading Beyond the Ego” and many other publications. John is an expert in Emotional Intelligence and a thought leader in ‘Transpersonal Leadership’ and the relationship between neuroscience and leadership. John developed LEIPA and 8ICOL, some of the most sophisticated 360 degree leadership assessments ever developed.
For the ever faster-changing world of the 21st century, we need a new kind of leader for the human race and the planet to prosper. With colleagues, John has developed the Transpersonal Leadership Development Journey to produce leaders who operate beyond their ego to create performance-enhancing and sustainable cultures. They are be radical, ethical and authentic while emotionally intelligent and caring, as well as believing in life-long personal learning and development.
Before becoming an expert on developing leaders that are suitable for leading in the 21st century, John had a distinguished career as a senior international corporate executive and as an entrepreneur. Before the age of 40, he had attained the position of a corporate VP of a Fortune 100 company and the main board director of one the largest companies in the UK. As an entrepreneur, he started up a number of companies, including several in environmental technology. His life changed when he got the opportunity to learn to coach and was then invited to work with groups of CEOs to help them become better leaders. In 2003 , John and his colleagues established LeaderShape Global where they have developed a codified, replicable, and configurable process, using advanced learning methodologies to develop the leaders up to Masters degree level.
Contact Info for John Knights
Travels from: Chadlington, Chipping Norton, Oxon