Michael O’Leary, co-author of Accountable: The Rise of Citizen Capitalism
Michael O’Leary and Bill Ringle discuss the details and examples of companies that choose to make social and environmental goals central to their profit and purpose as B-corporations.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- Effective evangelization requires more robust conversation between impact investors and our largest public companies, and active participation in helping them to set common standards for ESG measurement and impact best practices.
- Half of professionals feel no connection to their company’s mission or sense of meaning in their work.
- Today, two-thirds of Americans do not believe the financial system is benefiting the economy.
Listen to this interview with Warren Valdmanis, co-author of Accountable: The Rise of Citizen Capitalism.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Michael shared how he was influenced by former governor of Massachusetts Deval Patrick on accountable capitalism. [1:35]
- Major arguments or position that supports capitalism’s continuation. [3:49]
- Examples of companies that looked at bringing together, integrating, and reunifying some of those separations and gaps. [7:06]
- How to perceive capitalism and environmental and social responsibility. [10:55]
- Example of a company that had changed into a B-Corporation. [14:54]
- Business decision-makers who have become consciously aware of social issues. [19:16]
- Warren Buffet and his pursuing more than just financial returns. [26:45]
- Michael discusses impact investing. [28:34]
- Warren Buffet’s The Giving Pledge. [30:35]
- Other metrics for responsible capitalism. [41:02]
- Michael shares useful resources in the ESG space. [47:02]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins. [48:44]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Michael O’Leary was on the founding team of Bain Capital’s social impact fund. Previously, he invested in consumer, industrial, and technology companies through Bain Capital’s private equity fund. He has served as an economic policy advisor in the United States Senate and on two presidential campaigns. Michael studied philosophy at Harvard College and earned his MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business. He lives in New York, New York.
Contact Info for Michael O’Leary
Web address: http://www.accountablethebook.com/
Travels from: New York, New York