Karin Hurt, author of Courageous Cultures: How to Build Teams of Micro-Innovators, Problem Solvers and Customer Advocates.
Karin Hurt and Bill Ringle discuss applications of building courageous cultures where practical steps and insightful questions can be followed by small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- Becoming a courageous culture means building teams of micro-innovators, problem solvers, and customer advocates working together.
- To have a courageous culture really means that it takes less daily courage to show up and contribute because it is a safe environment.
- Many leaders are convinced they have an open environment that encourages employees to speak up and are shocked when they learn that employees are holding back.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Karin shares how her father conveyed the message that “girls could do anything.” [1:25]
- Karin shares the benefits of how breaking things down. [2:01]
- Karin talks about what a “courageous culture” means from her research and consulting work. [2:40]
- Karin discusses courageous culture during the pandemic lockdown and working from home. [4:10]
- Karin tells us about the power of specificity and the importance of focus. [7:23]
- Karin talks about the experience of a leader with an “idea of curiosity” and how to effectively communicate. [9:55]
- Karin shares her experience when she worked for Verizon. [14:08]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round begins [21:11]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
My Quest for the Best with Bill Ringle is the podcast for ambitious small business leaders.
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Recently named on Inc’s list of 100 Great Leadership Speakers and American Management Association’s 50 Leaders to Watch, Karin Hurt helps leaders from around the world achieve breakthrough results without losing their souls.
Karin has over two decades of experience in customer service, sales, and human resources. She’s the award-winning author of 4 books including Courageous Cultures: How to Build Teams of Micro-Innovators, Problem Solvers and Customer Advocates, and Winning Well: A Manager’s Guide to Getting Results-Without Losing Your Soul.
A former Verizon Wireless executive, Karin transformed customer service outsourcing (96M calls/year) to reach parity in quality with internal centers and developed a leading sales team that won the President’s Award for Customer Growth.
Her keynotes inspire leaders with proven and practical leadership techniques developed over her rich career as an executive, speaker, and strategic advisor.
Karin has a BA in Communication from Wake Forest University, an MA from Towson University in Organizational Communication, and additional graduate work at the University of Maryland, where she teaches in the Executive Education program.
She and her husband, David Dye, are dedicated to their philanthropic initiative, Winning Wells, which provides clean water wells to communities struggling with access to safe water throughout Southeast Asia.
Karin lives outside of Washington, DC. She knows the stillness of a yogi, the reflective road of a marathoner, and the joy of being a mom raising emerging leaders.
Web address: https://letsgrowleaders.com/
Travels from: Laurel, Maryland