Marcela Magda Popa, author of Keep Away from GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) Why “Safe” Everyday Products Are Making You Sick and Simple Strategies to Recover Your Health
Marcela Magda Popa and Bill Ringle discuss the principles behind the supposedly inactive and inert ingredients that can interfere with your health and well-being for small business leaders to make more informed choices for yourself, your staff, and your family.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- We should do our due diligence to eliminate the exposure to potentially unhealthy substances the best we can.
- Eliminating these GRAS chemicals as much as possible, although not easy at times, produced a steady improvement of the symptoms, while inadvertent or overlooked exposure triggered worsening symptoms, time and time again.
- Multiple synthetic ingredients included in everyday products that can have longterm negative consequences for our health.
Tweet-Ready InsightsKeeping ourselves informed about what we put in our body is very important. #MQ4B Ep247 with Marcela Magda Popa, author of Keep Away from GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) Click To Tweet I definitely don’t think people should treat themselves after reading information available online.#MQ4B Ep247 with Marcela Magda Popa, author of Keep Away from GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) Click To Tweet These generally recognized as safe (GRAS) substances are not necessarily safe, inert, or inactive.#MQ4B Ep247 with Marcela Magda Popa, author of Keep Away from GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) Click To Tweet Our chronic but constant exposure to these substances, even at low doses, can have an as yet unidentified or not fully accepted impact on our health. #MQ4B Ep247 with Marcela Magda Popa, author of Keep Away from GRAS (Generally… Click To Tweet Be prepared to meet some resistance, which will be even more stubborn if some restrictions you try to implement involve products the other family members enjoy.#MQ4B Ep247 with Marcela Magda Popa, author of Keep Away from GRAS Click To Tweet Thinking about the fact that so many are incorporated in a large variety of products we eat or drink on a daily basis, I think the amounts are adding up to be significant.#MQ4B Ep247 with Marcela Magda Popa, Keep Away from GRAS Click To Tweet If a product is potentially detrimental for my health, and there's an alternative which is not, then I'd go for the alternative.#MQ4B Ep247 with Marcela Magda Popa, author of Keep Away from GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) Click To Tweet The fact is that the products which are healthier are somewhat more expensive.#MQ4B Ep247 with Marcela Magda Popa, author of Keep Away from GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) Click To Tweet
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Marcela shares how the Romanian author Nicolae Steinhardt inspired her to live a life with more purpose, kindness, and gratitude. [2:09]
- Do you remember a time when you had a choice as to how to respond and you were reminded in terms of some of these lessons? [3:47]
- How Marcela decided to be a physician. [4:20]
- A typical day when practicing as a physician. [07:20]
- Take us back to the moment that moment of insight when you made that connection that it was the fact that the prescriptions given to you do not work for your body the way they were intended. [08:24]
- How she got started realizing the inactive ingredients actually caused negative reactions [11:02]
- My Quest for the Best Lightning Round [27:11]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Marcela Magda Popa, M.D., author of the Amazon bestseller Keep Away from GRAS, is a Board Certified Internal Medicine physician who graduated from Carol Davilla Medical School in Bucharest, Romania and completed the residency training in the United States. After sixteen years in private practice, her autoimmune arthritis forced her into early retirement.
Being a physician affected by certain medical conditions made her notice unusual facts, put questions in her mind, and compelled her to look for answers. As she stopped practicing medicine, she began to analyze and research her suspicion that certain chemicals present in every day products were worsening her arthritis symptoms. Low dose exposure to certain other chemicals, also present in commonly used products may have been the culprit in her worsening migraine headaches and even the more bothersome, recurrent breast abnormalities.
Dr. Popa noticed improvements by taking a different approach and looked at these diseases from a different perspective. When she eliminated the chemicals from her body, her symptoms were alleviated.
Through her experience, she figured out these “generally recognized as safe”—(GRAS) substances are not necessarily safe, inert, or inactive and our chronic but constant exposure, even at low doses, can have an as yet unidentified or not fully accepted impact on our health. She is documenting these observations in her book and sharing them with other patients who may struggle with similar conditions.
Although the findings are derived from medical research articles, there doesn’t seem to be a large enough “body of evidence” at the present time for the regulating agencies to ban or reinforce strict limits in the United States as they do in the European Union, Canada, Japan, or Australia.
So, Dr. Popa is doing all she can to heighten consumer awareness of what hidden dangers may be sitting on their bathroom shelves, pantries, laundry room, in their foods and even in their medications.
Contact Info for Marcela Popa
Web address: https://marcelamagdapopamd.com/
Travels from: Fort Lee, New Jersey
Social Media Links:
Books Authored by Marcela Popa, MDKeep Away from GRAS
Resources Mentioned During the Interview
The “inactive” ingredients that top the list to avoid are:
- polyethyleneglycols, often listed as PEG- some number, such as PEG-20 stearate, PEG-6 avocado oil, and so on.
- polysorbates of any kind (20, 40, 60, 80, and so on)
- nonylphenol ethoxylates including nonoxynol-9
- propylene glycol