Cheri Torres, co-author of Conversations Worth Having: Using Appreciative Inquiry to Fuel Productive and Meaningful Engagement
Cheri Torres and Bill Ringle discuss the finer points of using questions to direct focus for better relationships and better outcomes using appreciative inquiry for small business leaders.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth.
Top 3 Take-Aways from this Interview
- When you focus on the problem or ask people what they did wrong, it shifts more energy into protective-defensive mechanisms and people lose (temporarily) their ability to be creative and productive.
- It is important to learn positive framing and asking generative questions in dealing with a difficult situation.
- Appreciative inquiry had been equated with the 5D methodology: Define, Discover, Dream, Design and Destiny/Deploy. It has so many more applications.
Tweet-Ready Insights from this EpisodeLead people to ask questions on what is the thing you want now and what insight that you want rather than correct the mistakes that you made.>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres (@cheri_torres), co-author of Conversations Worth… Click To Tweet When we are stressed and fearful we lose our ability to think creatively and connect with other people and to access our higher order thinking because all the energy is going to protect us.>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres… Click To Tweet Outcomes-focused positive framing and generative questions gives people tools to intentionally make conversations worth having everytime.>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres (@cheri_torres), author of Conversations Worth Having: Using… Click To Tweet A generative question is something that changes the way we think and creates images that compel us to move towards that future that we want.>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres (@cheri_torres), author of Conversations Worth Having:… Click To Tweet Let go of getting it right or wrong and instead adopting this: how do I inspire the best from people that I'm working with?>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres (@cheri_torres), author of Conversations Worth Having: Using Appreciative… Click To Tweet Aid people to flip the problem to its positive opposite and talk about what you want and the outcomes you are hoping for.>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres (@cheri_torres), author of Conversations Worth Having: Using Appreciative… Click To Tweet These outcome-focused and inquiry-based interactions create conditions that enable people to connect, collaborate, and bring their best creative selves to the task at hand.>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres (@cheri_torres), author… Click To Tweet Choose to focus on what you want and to adopt an attitude of curiosity.>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres (@cheri_torres), author of Conversations Worth Having: Using Appreciative Inquiry to Fuel Productive and Meaningful Engagement Click To Tweet You have to start with evaluating what kinds of conversations you’re currently having and determining where you hope to go.>> #MQ4B Ep238 with Cheri Torres (@cheri_torres), author of Conversations Worth Having: Using Appreciative… Click To Tweet
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- Cheri shares her inspirations and how it inspired her. [01:20]
- What led you to a field of study that lead you to appreciative inquiry? [4:30]
- Why do we want to want people to think about what they did well rather than correcting mistakes they made? [7:32]
- What do you look for to tell the conversation is negative, neutral or a positive conversation? [10:06]
- Cheri gives small business owners recommendation on how they can implement appreciative inquiry [12:08]
- Can you give an example of an actual company…[21:30]
- Why do think people automatically think about their shortcomings? [27:36]
- Do you have an example wherein you use AI in a different way? [29:03]
- Can you talk to us through the differences between low and high performance teams? [36:09]Recap [41:02]
Subscribe to My Quest for the Best on Your Favorite App
Click to listen and subscribe on your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Cheri Torres, Ph.D. is CEO at Collaborative by Design (cheritorres.com).
Her mission is to give people simple communication practices that empower them to design organizations and communities that flourish. She partners with people to catalyze positive change in workplaces and communities. The practices she introduces give leaders and teams the power to strengthen relationships, expand possibilities, and increase productivity and engagement through everyday conversation. These practices are grounded in neuroscience, positive psychology, and Appreciative Inquiry..
She’s written numerous books and articles; her most recent book is a Berrett Koehler bestseller, Conversations Worth Having: Using Appreciative Inquiry to Fuel Productive and Meaningful Engagement.
She’s been featured in leading media sources including Fast Company, Forbes, HR Magazine, SmartBrief, Training Industry, and Training Magazine. She’s accumulated a Ph.D. in Collaborative Learning, an MBA, Masters in Transpersonal Psychology, and Level II certification in Spiral Dynamics Integral.
Contact Info for Cheri Torres
Web address: https://conversationsworthhaving.today/
Travels from: Asheville, NC
Social Media Links: