Entrepreneur and New York Times Bestselling Author of The One Percent Edge
Susan Solovic and Bill Ringle discussed how business leaders can find and exploit the one percent edge to stay relevant to their markets and outpace the competition on My Quest for the Best.
>>> Visit MyQuestforTheBest.com for complete show notes and more expert advice and inspiring stories to propel your small business growth. My Quest for the Best is a top-rated small business podcast with over 300 episodes of thought-provoking and insightful interviews with today’s top thought leaders and business experts. Host Bill Ringle’s mission with this show is to provide the strategies, insights, and resources that will unlock the growth potential of your business through these powerful conversations.
Key points that you’ll learn from this interview:
- How early jobs in the family funeral home and waitressing motivated her to seek new opportunities and environments.
- Secrets to effective business networking that you can use to stand out, get noticed, and gain business.
- A way to gauge progress in building your brand online.
- An example of the importance in cutting the dead weight in your organization.
- The importance of a “no sacred cows” principle in your leadership.
- Why the National Court Reporters Association is one of Susan’s favorite examples of re-envisioning your organization’s mission in the face of technology trends.
Read the Show Notes from this Episode
- 2:10 How a negative experience working at a steakhouse encouraged Susan to think about making money differently.
- 3:51 Susan recounts how her mom’s entrepreneurial drive inspired her to become one too.
- 4:37 “If you have the guts to go out and do it on your own, go out and do it on your own.”
- 5:15 [On having the courage to leave the corporate world] – “You take the step and say I’m going to give this a try, and if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out.”
- 5:55 The benefits of knowing your core competencies.
- 7:15 The steps Susan took to deal with the challenge of an assumed learning disability in middle school.
- 8:04 “Believe in yourself, know what you can do. No one should label you.”
- 9:06 How a lack of knowledge about how to run an internet company didn’t stop Susan from buying SBTV.com. The company would become one of the Hot Tech 100 companies of the year.
- 10:28 “The biggest thing that we did to build the business was getting collaboration.”
- 11:28 [On Networking] – “It’s not about selling, it’s about building that trust and rapport.”
- 13:29 Marketing used to be the message going out to consumers, and now it’s a two way street.
- 15:05 “We have so much access to data.”
- 16:40 Susan explains the significance of being authentic and connecting with your followers online.
- 17:22 How collaboration with other websites can bring more traffic to your website.
- 19:08 [The One Percent Edge] – “It’s about looking at your business on a regular basis…and about continuing to evolve on a regular basis.”
- 20:30 “You can”t be on the status quo, you’ve got to be on the status grow.”
- 20:49 The dangers of being married to our business operations.
- 22:40 “If you’re not willing to open up, I can’t help you.”
- 24:05 Susan describes the process of writing the book.
- 25:56 The trend of people wanting to talk about what’s happening, and being more accessible to having new conversations.
Subscribe on Your Favorite Podcast App
Click to listen and subscribe to your favorite place to enjoy podcasts below so you are the first to know when a new episode is released. My Quest for the Best is the podcast where ambitious small business leaders discover strategies and tactics to unlock their growth potential.
Give us a 5-star rating and positive review to make it easier for other small business owners to find and benefit from our work!
Susan Solovic is an award-winning entrepreneur, New York Times bestselling author, media personality, keynote speaker, and attorney. Her new book is The One Percent Edge: Small Changes That Guarantee Relevance and Build Sustainable Success. Solovic is also the host of The One Percent Edge podcast.
Contact Info and Social Media for Susan Solovic
- Primary Website
- Travels from: Jupiter, FL
- Phone: (631) 539-4558
- Connect on LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube